Town Hall of the Peace of Westphalia
Finished in 1512, the Town Hall in late-gothic style took more than 25 years to build. Just like in neighboring Münster, the Peace of Westphalia was negotiated here, ending the Thirty Years’ War (1618-1648). Inside the hall, 42 portraits show the envoys of the peace congress as well as the rulers of that time. The most valuable pieces in the treasure chamber include the Emperor’s Cup, the replica of the Treaty of Westphalia, and the Osnabrück militia’s necklace. Also to be seen on the upper floor is a model which shows Osnabrück in 1633.
The Market Square and the surrounding old town is definitely worth a visit with its half timbered houses and vault houses from the middle ages. Next to the historical square you will find the “Bürgerbrunnen” (well) illustrating important events in Osnabrück’s history.
St. Peter's Cathedral
Since its foundation by Charlemagne, the "Dom St. Peter" (St Peter's Cathedral) has been the religious center of the bishopric Osnabrück for more than 1225 years. The current architectural style dates back to the late Romanesque period in the 13th century. Exhibits that cover a period of more than one thousand years are preserved in the cathedral. The bronze font (1225), which has been used for christenings for almost eight centuries, the Romanesque triumphant cross and the tranquil cloister are especially worth mentioning.
Felix Nussbaum Museum
The museum, designed by the New York architect Daniel Libes - kind, is home to the internationally renowned Felix Nussbaum collection. Like no other painter, his impressive works record the stations of his life, from the “happy childhood” in a Jewish merchant family, via initial artistic success in Berlin, to the despair of a persecuted Jew living in Belgian exile. The creative tension between architecture and painting encourages us never to forget the Holocaust in Europe.
Old Town and Romanesque Vault House
The area to the left and right of the "Hegerstraße" (Heger Tor Viertel) is alive during the day with the many arts and crafts shops and is bustling with pub-goers in the evening. The "Willmann Haus" (Willmann House) in the "Krahnstraße" (Krahn Street) and the "Romantik Hotel Walhalla" in the "Bierstraße" (Beer Street) are the last proud reminders of a time when almost all buildings in the town were half-timbered. The "Heger Tor" (Heger Gate), the Bishop's Chancellery and a few buildings from the Rococo and Classicism era remain standing, not forgetting the towers and walls of the city fortifications. The Romanesque vault houses in the Old Town are unique. These monuments from the 13th century with their first floor entrances and small windows were used as safehouses, guarding the people and their wares.
The most important civic building in the city consists of the main building (palas) with a tower-staircase and the considerably older and taller Romanesque stonework. The estate once belonged to the influential family Leden.
The building's diagonal decoration complies with the historically authentic design. Today the Ledenhof, opposite the palace, is home to West Lower Saxony´s Literary Bureau and the German Foundation for Peace Research. Many cultural events take place in the Renaissance hall.
Am Ledenhof 3-5
One of the earliest baroque palaces in Germany, the former residence of the Prince- Bishop was built starting in 1668 by Ernst August I and his wife Sophie. Destroyed in the Second World War, the palace was rebuilt as a modern building with a historic façade.
Today the building is occupied by the University of Osnabrück. The stylish palace gardens, the palace´s terrace with its statues and the fountains are worth a look.